Tuesday 13 January 2009

How does my sexuality fit into my online identity?

As part of my job as a Business Development Manager for a Graphic Design and Marketing company I have to present a very professional image while at work, especially to our clients. I also have to undertake a certain amount of networking, both formal and a little bit less formal involving alcohol. During this time when meeting people I neither hide my sexuality nor am completely open about it. Most my clients don't know where I live, who with or what I do during my free time. I restrict the information about myself to suit the situation and my sexuality is something that I don't mention.

However, I have recently begun social networking online, on Twitter, on my company blog and off course here. Suddenly my identity is thrown open and I'm not sure how much of myself to let people see. It's important for people to know my interests, one of which is internet marketing and social media optimisation/social networking, as well as supporting Arsenal etc. So how open am I about my sexuality and does my unwillingness to announce to my business network that I'm a lesbian show cowardice? My colleagues know and I follow a few fellow gays on Twitter. I guess if people dug hard enough they could find out, but I still haven't worked out how to build this into my online identity.

1 comment:

  1. How strange that you should post about this, just as I type an email to a work colleague entitled "Closeted ungrateful b*tch" - NOT that you're the subject matter I refer to Tashie.

    That epithet is reserved for my Australian ex, whom I notified I'd sent a postcard to today.

    Her sole response, quote unquote: "The girl I'm living with doesn't know that I'm gay. You didn't make that obvious from the outside of the parcel did you?"

    And here I was thinking of drawing a nice big pretty labrys all over the enevelope. WhyIoughtta!!! :/

    In my mind, outing yourself is as easy or as difficult as you make it. I don't feel the need to announce it when meeting new people - but if it comes up in a conversation, I dont shy away from it either. I guess I follow the same rules for when telling people Im a United fan. Judge your audience.

    ReplyDelete